Looking from outer anchorage to the "Arches", the most southern part of Baja, California.  Around those rocks
in the foreground begins the most difficult passage between Cabo and San Diego. In this regard the authors
suggests Charlie's suggestions be followed, in particular to the coast route, in seven trips up this coast the
author was only once able to go direct to Tosco, this passage began on a south/southwest wind and a
lowering overcast, hot and humid weather and the boat was under sail not long after rounding Cabo Falso,
Tosco direct. Obviously, there was a front lurking about, it started raining in the afternoon and culminating in a
heavy rain and wind storm with wind shifting to the northwest about 1:00 A.M.  The author spent the rest of the
night and all the next day tacking up the beach line to Tosco to be greeted by the cheerful lights of an
American fishing boat, anchored and fishing. This particular storm had washed out the roads leading to Turtle
Bay so they ran out of diesel and the bay was full of boats of all types waiting for diesel when the author

Otherwise, the author has followed the coast route, getting to Punta Marquis at about dark but instead of the
wind decreasing, the wind has usually increased after sundown so the tacking routine up the coast would
start, sometimes under reduced sail.  However, in three to four hours the wind would back around to a more
northerly direction and due to the easting an almost direct sail to Tosco was accomplished, getting there an
hour or so after sunup. The author is of the opinion that this routine is better than rounding Cabo Falso,
running up the engine to full bore and bashing to Mag Bay, sometimes at a knot a two per hour. This routine
can best be left to the delivery crews.

As indicated above, this is a difficult passage, the distance between CSL and Tosco is about 140 miles with
no usable anchorages in between and the prevailing weather right in the teeth.  There are other ways, while
discussing this passage with another boat owner at the marina in San Pedro, he indicated that he had sailed
southwest from Cabo San Lucas to a rock protruding from the water at a distance of about 80 miles, came
about and sailed to San Diego.  At about 500 to 600 miles off shore, the prevailing northwest Japanese
current changes to the easterly trades and the author has heard that more and more boats are sailing
southwest to the trades and then beam reaching up the coast to the latitude of San Diego and then beam
reaching in. One case was that a Canadian had singlehanded a 60ft ketch in this manner all the way to
Vancouver. It may also be mentioned that the clipper ships of the 19th century rounded the Horn from the east
coast of the U.S., put in to Acapulco for R&R, afterwards, "went outbound until the wind changed" and
then beam reached up the coast to the latitude of San Francisco and then beam reached in. In the classic
sailing yarn "Two Years before the Mast", The author Richard Henry Dana indicated that after rounding the
Horn, the boat watered at the Robinson Crusoe island of San Juan Fernandez which is located about 300
miles West of Chile.  Thereafter, the vessel proceeded, keeping well offshore in the southeast trades until
they reached the northeast trades and then continued until the latitude of Point Conception on the California
coast was reached. At this time the boat came about and beam reached in to a few miles offshore and then
ran down the coast to Santa Barbara.

On another occasion, the author leaped out of the sack at about 2:00 A. M. in an effort to get under way before
the wind piped up, but after reaching a point about 15 miles north of Cabo Falso, a vertible wall of wind was
encountered stopping practically all forward progress so it was decided to take the "Clipper Bash" described
above. The author had already decided to take this routine in the event of mechanical problems inasmuch as
the author had already turned back due to weather once. After getting the boat stabilized outbound, it was
found that a heading of about 30 degrees less than the direct course to the Tosco/Mag Bay area could be
maintained so the author disposed of all thoughts of spending a week or so at sea and proceeded. During
the afternoon the wind piped down at a distance of about 60 miles or so from Tosco so the vessel motored in
and arrived at about 10:00 P.M. for one of the quickest trips ever up that passage.