This event began several years ago when the writer was struggling up the coast and had
anchored in the San Quintin anchorage looking forward to a well deserved nights rest.  
Fortunately, the transistor radio was left on and about midnight the writer bolted upright from
sleep at the statement from the radio "Storm approaching Los Angeles". As everyone who sails
this coast knows, the approach of a winter storm can be preceded by strong southerly winds
making most of the anchorages in northern Baja untenable.  So the old military adage "do
something, even if its wrong do something" came to mind. So the anchor was pulled and the
boat was underway in about 20 minutes giving the reef and surrounding kelp a wide clearance  
due to the reduced visibility in the darkness.  There were two choices, Isla San Martin was
about 10 miles up the coast, next was Ensenada about 100 miles up the coast.  Isla San Martin
only gives marginal protection from strong southerly winds so it was decided to keep going to
Ensenada since at the time seas were flat calm.

Arrival in the Ensenada anchorage was in the early evening the following day and after checking
the weather the next morning, a decision was made to continue to San Diego since the storm
was still on the outskirts of Los Angeles.  Unfortunately, while approaching Coronada Del Sur,
it began to rain, so the boat was anchored in the nearby anchorage for the evening.  The sailor
had lost the race.

It had rained during the night with only moderate winds in the protected anchorage, so the next
morning after the storm passage, the writer set sail for San Diego in heavy, rolling seas.
     A tranquil scene, the Shelter Island Police Docks.
Customs are here.  The writer has observed northbound
cruisers arriving here in high winds, heavy rain, soaked to
the skin and under the impression that they had reached at
long last Valhalla.  Under the circumstances of  a passage
of several weeks, water, electricity, $10.00 per night slip
fees, that can be understandable.